Denver, CO asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Employment Law for Colorado

Q: I work for a small biz as an employee and was sued personally (small claims) for a mistake the biz made. What do I do?

I work for a small business as an employee that does watch repair by mail. A customers watch was lost in the mail - but now he has sued me personally in small claims court for the lost watch. How do I proceed because I was working as an agent of the company? I don't think I should be personally liable. Additionally the company terms and conditions specifically state the company is not responsible for lost items.

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Hire an attorney, A company policy is not the law and they can sue you and the company. You'll have to respond to the complaint and defend yourself at trial if necessary.