Beaver Falls, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Had a home before we married sold the house while married. used the money for a down payment on home . divorcing $

Splitting the assests am I entitled to get back the down payment from a premarital equity

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A home that you owned prior to marriage is considered non-marital property. However, your current spouse may have a claim to any increase in value during your marriage of the home. Say for example, that when you remarried the home was worth $100,000 and at the time you separate from your spouse it is worth $125,000. The home itself is not marital property and he cannot be awarded it in a divorce. However, the $25,000 increase in value during the marriage can be considered in equitable distribution unless you have a valid prenuptial agreement excluding the home and any increase in value.

Please feel free to visit my website to learn more about equitable distribution, marital and non-marital property.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.