Dundalk, MD asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Maryland

Q: Is a company allowed to completely drain your bank account to where its in the negative

My mother owes a company 7,000 they filed a lawsuit and won. Now they take 25%of her check and are draining her bank account empty so its overdrawn and she cant pay other bills is that allowed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Yes. They can garnish her bank account. There are certain protections she could have and may still be able to file such as exceptions. Consult local counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.