Phoenix, AZ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: I was evicted and a judgement was place against me for a certain amount can the management say i owe more

The judgement was for a certain amountcan the management come back and say i owe more than they was granted on the judgement.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes, this can be possible. It depends upon what was litigated in the eviction action. In the eviction proceeding the landlord may have obtained a judgment only for possession, rent and legal fees. The landlord might still make a demand upon you for additional money if he has other claims, such as damages to the property in excess of your deposits. I recommend that you have a real estate attorney review your eviction judgment and your landlord's demand. Your attorney will be able to tell you if you may have a defense to the new demand based upon the eviction judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.