Carver, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can I show up to my boyfriend's arraignment to help get him off domestic A&B

My bf called the police on me because I was out of control intoxicated. Since he could not calm me down he was looking for help. They asked if he wanted me arrested he said no. We both hit each other I hit him first but my story was all over the place I know because I was inebriated and my bf wasn't. They ended up taking him and pressing charges although I begged them not to. Can I get him out of this mess being that he was the one who called, my statements weren't very trustworthy and I hit him first?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph B. Simons
Joseph B. Simons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The best thing you can do for him is to make sure he has an experienced criminal defense attorney. Unfortunately at this point, the prosecutor will not likely dismiss the case just because you ask them. Domestic violence allegations are often pressed hard by the prosecution. I have had many domestic A&B cases get dismissed, but only after a lot of advocacy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.