Pottstown, PA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I get custody of my children? They have been living with me for 3 months now due to their mother going down hill.

She is still receiving benefits from the state for them and I am still paying child support (arrears) for them. I do not want any support for them, however, I would like to stop paying on the arrears. My children are in a much better environment living with my fiancé and myself. I am worried that their mother will come and try to take them beings that we have never had any custody agreements. Looking for advice before I move forward.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I would suggest filing a petition for primary custody with your local court; it is especially important to have a custody order in place if you think mother may try to unilaterally take the children from your care.

You will still be obligated to pay all child support arrears until they are paid in full.

Please feel free to visit my website for more information on obtaining a child custody order in PA.


Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.