Westminster, MD asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: Husband wants a divorce and has not filed yet. I just found out that he has been cheating for the past 4 years. Options?

He moved out April 2017 but we are not legally separated. He is paying for some of the bills on the house. I am paying the others. He is not having a relationship with our 17 year old daughter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bethesda , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Depending on when your daughter reaches age 18 or is emancipated, she might not be an issue for the divorce suit in terms of custody and child support. If she is then that will be another issue to sort out for you two.

Your options are to file for a divorce based on separation or based on adultery. If you file based on adultery you have the challenge of needing solid evidence to prove the adultery. But you can also include the separation. You could start your case in court based on a limited divorce (much like a legal separation) and it will be ripe for the final divorce in April 2018.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.