Haverhill, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: I was arrested for uttering false prescriptions and fraudulently obtaining drugs (adderall).

I would like to know if a search was legal, lack of due diligence on the police's part, if I have a reason for a motion to dismiss. And a possible subsequent civil case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph B. Simons
Joseph B. Simons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: With any type of search, a good criminal defense attorney will scrutinize the police’s actions leading up to the search. The remedy may be to file a motion to suppress evidence. If successful, the case would likely be dismissed. Was there a search warrant, or was it a warrantless search? Either way, there are certain laws and procedures that the police must comply with.

As to the second part of your question, you might want to seek out the advice of a civil rights attorney to determine the viability of a lawsuit - but only after you are exonerated.

If you don’t already have one, you should retain an attorney who focuses on criminal defense in Massachusetts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.