Marshfield, WI asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin

Q: This is a question about fault of an accident when the roads are icy.

Last night my daughter was driving home from work. It was 9:15 pm. A car drove along side her and waved. My daughter thought she knew the passenger and waved back with her left hand. At the same moment she hit a patch of ice and spun into the passenger side just before the door. The driver insisted my daughter veered into their lane and hit them. However the location of their damage would not have allowed her to see anything. The officers took her statement for 5-10 minutes. My daughter was asked questions for 30 sec. The other driver left after giving her statement. We remained for 20-25 minutes longer without having any contact with the officers. Once they talked to us again she was issued a citation for failing to control her vehicle, loss of 4 points, and $139 fine. The other driver is the Chief of polices wife from our town of Stratford. My daughter didnt have weather factored into their decision. She was told many times she has to learn how to control her car regardless of ice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Your daughter would do well to contact an attorney who handles tickets in the county court where it will be heard to see if it can be reduced to a non point.

She should not give a statement even to her company until she speaks with an attorney as the recording could be used by the other person or the cop.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.