Atlanta, GA asked in Adoption for Virginia

Q: what do i have to do to adopt my girlfriends son his biological father never signed birth certificate

biological father got her pregnant then went to jail hes seen his son once since he was born 3 years ago and ive been with her since she was 3 months pregnant

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Since the biological father is in jail this process is likely to be long and complicated. Biological father is entitled to have a Guardian ad Litem appointed to represent his interests if he is in jail on a felony. Additionally, it will be a contested hearing whereby you will have to overcome a substantial prejudice against unwed couples and a preference for biological parents. You have no hope of doing this without a lawyer if biological father does not consent. Even if he does, a lawyer is important given the complexity of this type of case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.