Pompano Beach, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My ex got custody of the kids about 10 years ago because I defaulted and did not have the means to show up to court.

I had been living in another state . My ex has made it very difficult to see my children over the years. Back in September all the sudden she decided to send my 3 kids to live with me , so she could move back to Indiana to be with her abusive ex. That didn't work out , so last week she lied and had somebody pick up my kids , thinking they were going to Indiana to visit their mother but they have been in Florida at their maternal grandmother's the entire time . While she is in Indiana . They want to come back to me . Can I do anything in the meantime to get them back from their grandmother , while trying to find a lawyer and petition the court for modification. She keeps making threats if I try and get through kids to have me arrested? Don't I have rights over their grandmother. This has been a pattern with her over the years to leave them with their grandmother. She has no stability. She keeps saying they are her kids and I have no rights .my kids have been in school here since Sept

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Justin Gary Hausler
Justin Gary Hausler
  • Casselberry, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When you say that she “got custody,” That can mean 1000 different things. You need a lawyer to review that last order entered by the court and tell you where you can go from here. If you were given any time sharing rights whatsoever, and those are being ignored, you have a motion for contempt. Get a consultation ASAP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.