Pittsburgh, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: I’ve been separated since 2006, are we still legally married or would I still have to file for a divorce living in pa.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You are still legally married and will have to file for divorce; the good news is that because you have been separated for over one year, your spouse's consent will not be required to complete the divorce process.

In PA a 3301(d) (i.e., contested) divorce may be completed when the parties have been separated for at least one year. Although a divorce decree will not automatically be entered at the end of the one year period, the moving party is not required to obtain the other spouses signature to complete the 3301(d) divorce.


Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.