Asked in Tax Law for Kansas

Q: I am going through an audit and the IRS person has had it for almost 70 days and keeps telling me it will be done

shortly but another week goes by and no answers, just last week he said he was trying to figure what expense to put on Schedule A and C, is he playing games with me or misleading me on the audit. How do I ask the IRS person if my audit has gone to a review. up stream without raisin g eyebrows

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Believe it or not 70 days is actually not a long time for an audit. Some auditors are quicker than others. If you are concerned because they are telling you things that are making you uncomfortable I recommend at least calling a tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation. If it is just the amount of time that it is taking worrying you, I would not be concerned at this point. Prior to finalizing the audit they are required to send you a breakdown of everything they have changed. You will have time to dispute anything you do not agree with before they finalize the audit. If at any point you think things are not going your way, tell the auditor that you would like to contact an attorney. You are better off consulting with an attorney before the audit ends then after. The IRS will usually give you a reasonable amount of time to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.