Mineral, VA asked in Adoption for Michigan

Q: My nephew was born meth addicted, the mother does not want to give him up. What are our chances of adopting?

She has a pending parole violation and possession charges. She has lost all rights to her previous child, and has a history of child abuse with her. She has only supervised visitation with this child. We have court approved custody at this point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I would say that you have a very good chance of adopting. It sounds like there is a pending abuse/neglect case, which could lead to termination of parental rights. The goal in those proceedings is reunification whenever possible (absent some extreme circumstances where immediate termination is authorized by statute). Mother will be given time and services to make reunification possible. As a practical matter, her issues will likely prove to be too much to overcome in a reasonable time, and the court will move toward termination.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.