Bakersfield, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can I get deposit back, terminate lease and not pay late fees for inhabitability

To be brief my apt has had issues since I moved in and I was promised everything would be fixed after I moved in. It's been 6 months and barely anything had changed I had an issue that I wasn't aware about b4 moving in found out I had a methane leak under the sink she tried to deny it but then later put in detectors, a outlet blew up on my finger while plugging in an item she said it's not unusual, my tub does not drain sent a man to fix it said he would need to come back he hasn't been here again I do not have real locks on my windows they do not lock she gave us metal bars to just put in the window my front gated door has a hole in and doesn't lock properly there are holes in the walls I had a mouse the shower makes loud noises when on non stop we had no closet rails for a long time she gave us some from other apts that didn't fit I finally got one 6 months later but have 3 that don't got there is wood and a closet door on the floor in my 3 year olds room cabinets do not close

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you want your money back you should first call the housing code enforcement inspector in your city and complaint to him about all the problems you have encountered in your apartment. Second, if you have suffered any medical illness as a result of the uninhabitable problems, you should visit your doctor and get treated. Third, you should call a Tenant lawyer in your city and let him advise you what to do next. Best of luck,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.