Butler, PA asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Does my Fiance' owe her ex husband any money if she refinances the house out of his name?

They bought the house together and he lived there for 2 years before he packed his things and moved out. She stayed and paid the mortgage for the following 2 years while they were separated, they got a divorce a year ago. There's nothing in the divorce papers about the home. She wants to refinance the house out of his name as he had abandoned it 3 years ago. He is saying that if that happens he would be owed half of the house worth or at least half of the 2 years he had lived there. This is in Pittsburgh, PA. He makes threats like this all of the time, is it true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If his name is on the deed he owns the house with your fiance. A house purchased during the marriage is considered marital property and all claims for equitable distribution (i.e., the division of marital assets) must be brought prior to the entry of the divorce decree or they are lost.

Please feel free to visit my website to learn more about equitable distribution, marital and non-marital property. http://www.pafamilylawyers.com/Property-and-Debt-Division/

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.