Philadelphia, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Non-biological father seeking visitation rights

Asking for a friend. The child wasn't his, but he loved her and helped raise her for the first 13 months of her life. Now him and the mom split, and I'm wondering if he can get some kind of legal visitation rights, because she is considering denying him visits because she started dating someone else. He loves that little girl, and you can tell it's breaking his heart. He's not looking for any kind of custody, just short visits, so he can at least still see her. He was such a good dad to her, and she adores him. The fact that her mom wants to take visits away is killing him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It is possible he may qualify for in loco parentis standing to file an action for visitation. A person may be found to stand in loco parentis to a child when they have taken on parental responsibilities and duties with the consent of the biological parent.

Please feel free to read my blog on in loco parentis law in PA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.