Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My bf signed off his rights to his kids 4 years ago due to a bad relationship. Can he find a way to see his kid now?

He had a drug addict gf. They both signed off rights because he knew he couldnt afford the child at that time with what she was doing. He has bettered himself now, new place, new relationship, new life. But he really wants to see his kid. It hurts him so bad that he had to sign off. Is there any way we can find a lawyer who will allow him to see his kid? Anything to help him better.

P.s. He was not doing drugs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Brent T. Geers

  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Termination of parental rights - voluntarily or by trial - ends the parent-child relationship. Unfortunately, there is likely nothing any attorney can do for your boyfriend at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.