Rome, PA asked in Foreclosure for Pennsylvania

Q: Bank sent foreclosure papers claiming we havent paid in 5 months. We have and we have bank statements proving we did.

We paid every month except December (hard times with sons medical issues) and have our bank statements as proof. Though they are claiming we haven't paid since August. Where should we go from here? Contact the bank lawyers with our proof of payments or get our own lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: For the most part, lawyers only do what their clients direct them to do. In your case, it appears that the mortgage holder, or designated servicer of the mortgage loan, has decided to foreclose. And yet, once a party has "lawyered up" about a matter, you are bound to direct communications to the designated attorney representing that party.

I would recommend that you provide documentary proof of payment (canceled checks, or proof of debit transactions, etc., from your bank, showing date and amount of payment, and identity of the payee) to the attorneys who have contacted you on behalf of the mortgage holder, by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you can later prove delivery of your letter. It behooves you to include a certified check or money order for the missing December payment.

It may be that the mortgage holder has changed its servicer, and your payment went to the wrong place. You should have received written notice of any change of servicer, but commonly, such notifications are sent by regular mail, i.e., you may or may not have received the notice.

Did you receive any communications from the mortgage holder/servicer about delinquent payments before receiving notice of intent to foreclose from the attorney? What did you communicate during such contacts.

It would be best to provide your proof of payments as soon as possible. In PA, a notice of intent to foreclose normally gives you 30 days to "cure" a default.

I'd also recommend that you engage counsel, and quickly, perhaps even to respond to the notice of intent to foreclose you've received, and your lawyer can review your proofs of payment, and assist you with your response to the mortgage holder's lawyers.

One lesson my experience has taught me, time after time, is that banks make mistakes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.