Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York

Q: Will I get in trouble for not showing for proceedings?.

My mom got served child support paperwork at my previous address.. I no longer live in nyc and my name is not on birth certificate.. the child is 5yrs old now..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you do not show up in court, you are demonstrating to the court that you are a careless person and does not care about the child. This decision of yours can haunt you for the rest of your life. Supposed, you get married, and your spouse sue you for divorce and custody of new kids and the lawyer is really techy and aggressive that he pulls up this (current case) lack of consideration, and not showing up in court to be used against you. If you can't make it to hearings, you can hire a lawyer and represent you in court. This way you can have a shot at the custody of the matter. Unless you just don't want to be a part of the child's life. Child support is enforced in all 50 states and in many countries. No matter where you go, it will always follow you. The worst, they will start garnishing your paycheck. Make matters easier for yourself not difficult. Work with a competent attorney to represent your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.