Boaz, AL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: My husband and I are getting divorced. Can he get custody of a child that has not been born if he does not sign the BC?

We have a two year old that he willingly signed the birth certificate to. I know we will have a custody set in place for her. He does not wish to sign the birth certificate of our second child who is due to be born in June. If we get divorced before the baby is born will he still have custodial rights? If he does not sign the birth certificate, because he has already expressed to me that he does not want to, will he have custodial rights to the child if we are not yet divorced? I do not want him to have any legal rights to our son because I'm afraid he will mentally abuse him by the way that he is acting. There is a lot going on behind the scenes. He is already considered a violent drug abuser by the court system, which is why we are getting divorced. My children would not be in the best of care with him, especially my son, who he claims is not his.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: These are all issues that will be addressed at your divorce trial. You can't "unmake" him the father of the current or expected child. It is a matter for trial of the divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.