Patchogue, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: Does my ex husband have right to say where the kids & I live ? Does he have to inspect & approve our home ?

This man has been abusive & controlling towards me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Christine Moccia

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rye Brook, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If your agreement prevents you from moving out of the area where the children live now, then he can stop you from relocating. If he has issues with the quality of your housing and/or the safety of your children, he can bring you to Family Court to change the physical custody of the children so that he has physical custody. Also, he can alert child protective services if he believes the quality of the housing is impacting the children. Please be advised this is a general answer to your question and is not legal advice. You should consult a qualified attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.