Asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: Is there a procedure to stop irs from issuing levy to take property and garnish wages?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: You can request a collection alternative such as an Offer in Compromise, Installment Agreement, or Currently Not Collectible status. It is impossible to tell you in this format which is the appropriate alternative for you. Seek the assistance of a tax attorney. Most offer a free consultation. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on tv.

Mr. J. Thomas Black
Mr. J. Thomas Black
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, there are several ways to stop the IRS from issuing a levy. You can request a Collection Due Process hearing, and then propose a collection alternative such as an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise. If you qualify, you may be able to have the account put in Currently Not Collectible status.

Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to discharge the taxes in chapter 7 bankruptcy, or pay them over a period of time using a chapter 11 or 13 bankruptcy. Filing bankruptcy also stops the IRS from issuing a levy or continuing with collection activity, at least temporarily.

I recommend you consult with an experienced tax resolution attorney, or a CPA or Enrolled Agent that is experienced in tax resolution matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.