Palm Coast, FL asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: I live in a rental apt in Fl. Landlord raised rent by $200/mo but will not provide new lease agreement. What can I do?

I have contacted landlord and building manager on multiple occasions requesting documents but requests have not been honored. Landlord even called me to tell me that I was being "unreasonable" and "a pain" for asking for contract. Are landlords legally obligated to provide a new printed or digital lease agreement when increasing rent? Can I be evicted for nonpayment of the new amount? I have had other issues with this landlord in the past including him not fixing the AC, fridge, and other unworking utilities that were contractually to be fixed by landlord. I don't know what my rights are here and how I should proceed. No time or money to move to different place or I would. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Andy Wayne Williamson

  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like you once had a written lease and that the term of the written lease has expired. Thus you are now a month to month tenant with no lease. This means that the landlord can change any term that he or she wants as they are not bound by a written lease. The law does not mandate a written lease.

So if you want to stay you must pay the new rental amount.

This is all the help that I can offer you. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.