Arvada, CO asked in Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: Can I get a restraining order filed against my ex? And how do I start the process?

It's been over a month since I left my ex boyfriend of 2 years. We we're living together and I moved out, staying on my friends couch for now. After several times of telling him to leave me alone, he persists. I have blocked him on everything - my phone, email, social media. For him to create a new email to send me threatening messages until I block that one. He has showed up at my door unannounced, threatening my life and the lives of those I care about. Saying he will "murder" my "new boyfriend." He will "ruin" my life by sending coworkers and family lewd pictures he has of me, etc. One day when I refused to answer the door, he left a note on card board saying he would be back every few hours until I talked to him, threatening to physically harm "whoever I'm sleeping with." Everytime he manages to get a hold of me, I reply with "please leave me alone," "don't contact me again or I will get the police involved," etc - If respond at all. I saved most threatening messages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: While it is possible to pursue a civil protection order, the best approach is usually to contact the your local police about the harassment. If they find an incidence of domestic violence (note: DV charges do not necessarily require physical harm if threats of physical violence are concrete), an automatic (and temporary) protection order is granted. DV charges can also occur AFTER an incident occurs. If conviction occurs, it is possible to modify the mandatory PO into a permanent. Until action is take, make sure to preserve all evidence of your ex's actions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.