Pell City, AL asked in Bankruptcy for Alabama

Q: I had my chapter 13 dismissed and consider chapter 7. I want to keep my home but I am $8000. behind what are my options

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The only way you can force the lender to accept current payments on your home loan while at the same time pay the arrears over time is via Chapter 13. You may be able to get the $8,000.00 arrears put onto the back end of the loan via a Loan Modification, but you would need to start the application process asap. Go to and call HUD to talk to a housing loan counselor about your options. If your home loan is owned by Fannie Mae, FHA, Freddie Mac, the VA etc, then you should be able to move forward at the HUD website with your application. They may direct you to call the servicing company for the loan to request the application for loan modification. When you send in any info for a loan modification, send it USPS , UPS or FED EX with a Tracking ID #. Make a copy of your docs and cover letter, and keep that with the Mailing or Shipping Receipt, so that you can have verification of everything you send, and proof of the date mailed. Finally, be persistent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.