Chantilly, VA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: Do I have to be in contact with my child's mother? She has full custody and I longer wish to be in contact with either

My son's mother is so volatile and dangerous for me to even be in contact with that I do not wish to have any contact with my son anymore in order to keep myself out of harm's way. I have tried having visitation rights and seeing him, but she was too hostile and almost every time put me at risk for being falsely accused by her. I signed an agreement that I would pay child support and help with medical costs, which I am willing to continue doing, but I do not wish to have any contact with her AT ALL. Is that possible? Or will I always be legally forced to stay in contact with her in order to resolve financial things such as the medical costs my son incurs. The child support is already set up through my job so I don't have to be in contact for that reason. My question more applies more to the medical costs that come up in the future, I guess...

Edit: How would financial issues be resolved (such as medical, or changes in pay)? I am unwilling to see or talk to her, period.

1 Lawyer Answer

Wayne E. Holcomb

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Yorktown/Newport News, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You cannot be forced to stay in contact with your son, but that's likely not the best result for him or you. With the help of Counsel, you can most likely craft an agreement or an Order to have the exchanges with the mother in public places or with a witness present. Although this can cause problems in itself, most phones can video these days. Some very troubled relationships exchange their children at police stations to keep the drama and potential legal issues at bay. You can stay away if you want, but there are better options I believe. My advice is that you get in touch with a local family law attorney as soon as you can.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.