Winston Salem, NC asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for North Carolina

Q: I'm 18 and living with my parents. I have my own job. My dad takes $10 every time he feels i disobey him. Is this legal?

I make all my own money and I have an online bank account which is where my money is being taken from.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: At 18 you are an adult so no, your dad doesn't get to punish you that way anymore. So just refuse to give him the money (how is he getting into your online account?) or maybe be smart and put it in a real bank where he can't get to it. However, if you do that, he may kick you out or charge you rent which is perfectly legal. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.