Kodak, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: My hsb & I separated. He got another woman pregnant. We reconciled and now she doesnt want the baby but he does. ADVICE

The birth mother has agreed to terminate all rights, what all does my husband have to do to keep the child? I am OK with this as this wasn't the child's fault.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: She can give him legal custody by simply filing a petition in the juvenile court and asking the court to award him custody. She can terminate voluntarily, or surrender, if you choose to adopt the child. You may want to seek a guardianship in probate court. You have options, none of which are particularly difficult, but what your needs and goals are should be discussed with an attorney experienced in this area of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.