Cincinnati, OH asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: my girlfriend broke up with me before paying me back for a vacation we took together. How can I get my money back?

In 2012, we went on vacation and I covered her half of $10,000 total. She was supposed to pay me back when we returned home. She dumped me before I received a dime. When I asked about the money, she threatened to call the police and put a restraining order on me. It has been 6 years. Do I have any right to claim my money? I only have credit card receipts and email receipts as proof.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Small claims court can handle a claim up to $6000. If more than that, you file a claim in municipal court. But you might have waited too long. The time limit on your claim might be 6 years. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local litigation attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.