Slatington, PA asked in Banking, Divorce and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: My mother remarried and found an old bank account of deceased husbands. Why can she not access the money?

It's been 10 years since he passed , she has had her last name changed, she says she needs to divorce her current husband and have her name changed back. Is this true? She is trying to take the money for herself and I need to know if I'm entitled to a share of it as I am his biological daughter, she will not allow me to see his will.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Drew Raisman
Michael Drew Raisman
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the bank account is in her deceased husband's name, then she may need to open up his estate. The bank probably will not give her the funds until she begins probate. In that case, she'll either need to present the will to the Register of Wills (of which you would then be entitled to see), or it will go through intestacy in which case you may be entitled to part of it, depending on the amount of the bank account and any deductions payable through the estate.

I do not see why she would need to divorce her current husband or change her name back - it doesn't make sense. You should speak with an attorney about your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.