Chicago, IL asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Kansas

Q: I signed a contract with a former employer when I changed my availability they let me go. The contract states if I quit

I owe them the money it cost to train me. Are they allowed to withhold my paycheck?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Employment agreements sometimes provide that, if a benefit is afforded at the early stage of the employment, and an employee leaves before having reached a certain anniversary, that the employee would repay the expense incurred for the benefit. Your question implies that your "availability" fit one schedule and then you changed it to fit another schedule. Your question really relates to how the facts of the situation fit the terms of the written documentation. You should consult with an attorney, sharing the written documentation of the original agreement ("contract"). The details of the originally scheduled availability and the changed availability would also be information to share with the attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.