Frederick, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: My divorce papers have the wrong last name. Refers to me as the name i had before we married am I divorced

My name on the marriage license is Frazier however I married an Ubiera and changed my name accordingly after getting married. We got divorced and the papers refer to me as Frazier but my last name is Ubiera. All my identification etc is Ubiera. Am I still divorced or no.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis
  • Bethesda , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: To answer your question, yes. You are divorced because you were granted a divorce and received a divorce decree. If you want to amend your divorce decree to include the correct last name you can do that. Just file a motion (request) with the court that issued your divorce decree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.