Prosper, TX asked in Employment Law, Domestic Violence and Employment Discrimination for Texas

Q: Is a police incidient in Little Elm, TX public record and easily accessible to anyone?

My wife called the cops on me, as I had a gun I was moving to a brand new safe that was purchased. When the cops came, they questioned her and me, and she pressed no charges after they realized nothing had occurred, other than her freaking out. I am looking to get a new job, and my fear is this will show up on a background check, even though no charges were committed against me, but I'm fearful a new employer may take this into account if I were to have a background check, and I would lose the opportunity. Do I need to worry about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Unless you were arrested, it is unlikely this incident would appear on a background check in 2018. There is almost certainly a record of it somewhere, so it is hard to predict what will appear on a background check 20 years from now... but today you mostly have to worry about situations that go a bit further than you described, for example: arrests, warrants, judgements, citations, etc.

You might want to ask the law enforcement agency for a copy of their incident report that says you did nothing wrong. You could then show it in the unlikely event that anyone asks about it. The cops can probably look it up by the street address and approximate date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.