Kingston, NY asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: What happens when a spouses Attorney Quits the case prior to finishing the divorce in PA?

I filed for divorce in 2011. Spouse would not sign Divorce Papers. Case was thrown out after 2 years due to inaction. Then, Spouse filed for divorce in 2015. 2 years passed, nothing happened. Spouse filed to Proceed with the Divorce in November 2017. On the last day to file, spouses attorney filed motion to Quit. Spouse no longer has legal representation.

Does the Court Scedule a Date to Proceed, or is the Case thrown out? What happens now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
Karen Ulmer Pendergast
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: An attorney is not required to obtain a divorce, however, you will need to process paperwork in order to obtain a court date or a final decree as they are not automatically scheduled. If enough time passes, the court may send notice that the case will be dismissed due to inaction unless someone notifies them that it is still pending. Your case will not, however, result in a final divorce unless one of the parties educates themselves on how to process the paperwork or hires a lawyer to assist with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.