Grand Rapids, MI asked in Car Accidents for Michigan

Q: I was in a accident and now have to pay settlement. Is it possible to reopen case to fight judgement

I was in a car accident a few years back, at the time I did not have insurance. I was unaware that I was without insurance, I was in school and my mom had agreed to make those payments for me. The car was parked in the left lane with no hazards on so coming down the hill it seemed like it was moving. Once I realized it was not I hit the car. No one was in the car, there was another car in front of him and both people were outside their vehicles. At the time this went to court I was living Texas and had the paperwork needed turned in. Before I had my son I needed to get a paper notarized, I ended up having to have my son sooner and after his birth was not mobile.

In the end the court went ahead with the case and now I am stuck paying over $11,000 with interest piling up. This was my first ever accident and have never had a record on my license. Now I am unable to have a real license until this amount is paid.

Is it possible to reopen this case? Should interest be accumulating?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: The time to try to reopen it would've been when you realized you hadn't gotten it in. If it's not been too long you could try to reopen it but that would mean hiring an attorney and they'd want up front money. I f you were injured in the wreck and it's medically documented, and it's under two years contact a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn for the county where it happened. Otherwise, you can look at bankruptcy. Not sure how that affects getting a license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.