Chatsworth, CA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California

Q: Want to dispute signing over my rights.

My mom was to receive a sum of money before she passed away. It was awarded to me and my brother. The document I signed was my rights over to my brother. I have a daughter, which found out legally she was mine (DNA test) after signing the document. I was in prison and since have been released. Half of the money will be set into a trust fund for my daughter. The court awarded her mother rights over the money since my daughter is a minor. I wanted to dispute the document and try to nullify the contract. Neither me or my brother had any legal help with the document and feel like I don't know what to do next.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Del Mar, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Let's see if I have this right. You and your brother were entitled to receive a sum of money. You gave your right to the money to your brother. That means you no longer have any rights to the money, and neither do your children. Then you say 1/2 of "the money", is that the same money that you and your brother inherited, and your half of which you gave to your brother? That money is going into a trust for your daughter. Is your brother giving her that money? The court -- what court? -- gave "her mother " rights. I though you were her mother! You want to dispute and nullify the contract -- what contract? What do you want when all is said and done? You will need a lawyer at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.