Fort Smith, AR asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Arkansas

Q: Can a ncp agree to sign over rights and not have to pay back child support in Arkansas?

My youngest son's dad just spent 65 days in jail due to non payment of child support. Within a few days of him getting out he contacted a family friend and wanted to get ahold of me And asked if I agreed to drop all back child support he would sign over rights to my son. Is this possible and what advice to recommend. I had told him even if I did agree it would be up to a judge to grant whether he has to pay the back child support or not. Also, he has abandonment my son and hasn't seen him in over a year, no call, no nothing therefore my current husband and want to take his rights away and have him adopt my son. As he thinks that he is his daddy. Any information will be helpful. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: This can be done with a single-parent adoption. It sounds odd but what you do is adopt your own child. This gets rid of the father and his rights. If the father will sign all the documents, we can get this done a few weeks. Fees are between $3ooo and $5ooo depending on what is needed.

It will not get rid of any support he owes but OCSE will not try to enforce any support obligation once the case is finished.

Jim Hensley

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.