Bronx, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for New York

Q: Can you request a postponement if you want legal representation on your behalf in a court proceeding

My son has an upcoming custody/child and spousal support case on March 26... He had an appointment with his union lawyer for March 21 but they rescheduled it for May 9th due to the No'easter..He was told to tell them that he doesn't want to act as his own lawyer but wants to speak to a lawyer first... Will this request be granted?? He has been providing support of $300-500 to his estranged wife plus paying $500 rent to her parents (not court order) She is not allowing him to see nor speak to their 2 year old daughter... Is that allowed when there is no reason for it? Any advice you can provide will be more than appreciated

1 Lawyer Answer
Christine Moccia
Christine Moccia
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rye Brook, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: He should have a lawyer with him on the May 9 appearance. This is plenty of time to get an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.