Santa Rosa, CA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Education Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: I live in California and my son got stabbed with a pencil in the leg by a 10 year old can he or his parents be charged

It happened at school and same kid has been suspended before for beating up kids for no reason. He stabbed my kid in the leg intentionally and with premeditation. I want to know what I can do legally because school doesn't seem like they are doing anything other than suspending him again.

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: He can be charged as a juvenile. Request a meeting with your local district attorneys office in regards to potential juvenile criminal charges.

It's not clear that the school has power to do anything other than suspend him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.