Bradenton, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: I rented a home in Jan. for $3000 month based off pics on Zillow. Can I withhold rent until its fixed or end my lease?

Inside the house is nice but has needed many repairs that we found out about as we discovered them.Most have been fixed.The heater & AC were broken.The garage door & oven are still broken.The sink is coming off the wall.There was a decomposing animal under the house that smelled AWEFUL for 4 weeks, which created hundreds of flies inside the house.In the pictures on zillow the house had a screened porch & pool with grass & fenced yard,none of which exists anymore due to Hurricane.The realtor assured us these would be fixed. They have hired someone else but we haven't been able to coordinate our schedules yet.He asked to give them a key but we refused.Until now I have had to be home while repairs were done.Most of which have been w no notice.Paying full rent while repairs are being done and was not ready to be rented doesn't seem fair.We thought we were moving into the house in the pics and were unaware of the open issues.We've paid 9000 for 1st,last, & security plus 3000 month since Jan

1 Lawyer Answer

Andy Wayne Williamson

  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You do not have the right to withhold rent without providing a proper 7 day notice. Your remedy is to move out on day 8 if the repairs are not done. Sounds like you need to consult with a tenant attorney in your area asap to get property legal help in this situation. I suggest that a 7 day notice is not a DIY project.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.