Urbandale, IA asked in Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: Can I relocate 35 miles in state from non-custodial parent to be closer to work without letter of intent in ND?

I have found an affordable apartment right next to my work place 35 miles away from the non-custodial parent. My move will not affect his parenting schedule whatsoever and the move will benefit my daughter because I will be able to spend more time with her instead of her going to daycare during my commute time. He is threatening to take me to court to stop me from moving. Our divorce decree States that I only need permission from the court or non-custodial parent to move out of state and I want to move by June 1st and he is arguing that he needs a minimum of 60 days advance notice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson
  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Generally, the express terms of the Divorce Decree will prevail. However, I am unable to provide adequate legal advice without first speaking with you at length about the particular facts and circumstances of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.