Beaverton, OR asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: My daughters dad has domestic absue against me. He is now stating if I die he is awarded sole custody.

I had a restraining order against him for a year. Did not renew as we needed to communicate. He also has an attempt of animal abuse charge, because he killed my dog. I have a major surgery scheduled in a few weeks, I wrote my will to state she is better fit to be with my brother and sister in law. He is stating he will be awarded sole custody if I die. Is this true?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: General speaking the biological parent has a superior right to parent their children over other people, however the court can remove the child from the biological parent's custody if it is necessary to protect the child. Unfortunately, no one here on an internet website can give you the type of counseling session that you need to figure this out and take preventive action. You absolutely need to make an appointment with a family law attorney, preferably one that also does estate planning, otherwise you also need to talk to an attorney who does estate planning.

While it will be necessary to go to court and challenge the biological father's rights to have custody if you die, there are steps you can take to mitigate this. First, you might want to set up some type of trust so that any assets or investments you have go to a trust managed by your brother. If you have life insurance you might want to make your brother the principle beneficiary and tell him to use the money for legal fees he will incur protecting your children.

You brother may need to file with the court to be appointed the legal guardian of your children or if he has the type of relationship specified in ORS 109.119 he could apply for custody as a psychological parent. But essentially your ex as the biological father would be first in line to take custody unless a court intervenes.

You didn't say how old your daughter is. As a practical matter, if she is a teenager and doesn't want to live with her dad and say, runs away from home, the police will probably not force her to go live with him. Your brother will have trouble however intervening because that could make him liable for custodial interference. But between your daugther's resistance and filing in the court for judicial assistance, it would work out that she ends up with your brother. The key here is to make sure that your brother has the financial resources to hire a good lawyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.