San Francisco, CA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Publishing court documents in the child molester's case

Hello! Is it legal to publish our news site the transcript of secretly made conversations of a child molester by his relatives (which is a Exhibit and main Evidence in Superior court in California)? We did redact all the personal information of victim and her parents, but the name of Defendant (who is the victim's relative) not redacted. In this Exhibits defendant is talking about very personal and intimate details. In other recording made by local DA's office the victim in details tells the story of sexual abuse by her granddad. It's all public record, but we don't want to have legal problems with the family.

Can they sue us for making those documents public? What we should keep in mind while doing so. Thanks!

P.S. In you are located in San Francisco or Bay Area, plz let me know, if you can provide consultations on that and some other issues. I'm looking for Media and Telecommunications lawyer in the area.

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are asking for a legal opinion about a specific case, with very few facts and no compensation to the attorney for the risk in giving an opinion.

In general, unsealed records in a Court file are public records. There are protections for victims of sexual assault, and for minors. Whether or not those protections have been waived or are inapplicable is unknown.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.