Bristol, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: My friend is here illegally and has been in the states almost 13 years. What do i do first to get him a green card?

He has two children and one on the way and a girlfriend he has been with for almost 11 years i want to know my first step on getting him a permanent legal resident status but i have no idea wher to start or how much we can afford to pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You can’t do anything, except maybe act as a sponsor. If his girlfriend is a citizen or permanent resident, she can first marry him and then file a visa petition for him. Depending on his circumstances, he will likely need to leave the country to go to a visa interview. An immigration attorney can help with some of the details based on your friend’s particular circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.