Hoffman Forest, NC asked in Collections for North Carolina

Q: I have a lien on my home from a old debt I called to try and pay on debt and was laughed at and told I owe double

I also asked if I could see all documents they had supporting the case against me he said he did not have them and was not required too. I had a business account with a business partner that I was supposedly taken off of because he took over my part of the business and we told the company that the account was with to take me off. I did not sign for anything the last 2 years he was open which I’m sure was well over the amount that was owed anyway I’m in NC and judgment was filled in Maryland is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you sign a contract, there is no obligation for the creditor to remove you because of a split with your business partner. If you had a contract as a part of your split that the partner would take responsibility for this debt then you may have claims against the partner. In terms of the debt, I would request a copy of the court file then review it with an attorney to see if there are any options with respect to the judgment. The attorney will need to review how you were served and determine if everything was properly done. If it was, you'll probably have to work with the creditor on a settlement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.