Kingsport, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: My fiancé and I married a few days ago. She came here from the U.K. on a visiting visa in October 2016! BUT....

Her visa expired feb 2017. And she has overstayed due to us having a child together what process do we take now so she can legally stay?


Would it help if she renewed her visa?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rehim Babaoglu

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You may be able to petition for her as your wife. The process is long and complicated, and requires numerous government forms to be filed, along with $1,225 & $535 government filing fees. I would urge you to consult with and hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with this case. Not because I think you’re not capable of handling it, you may will be, but in order for the lawyer to debrief and brief you two, analyze, assess and evaluate your case, handle your case in order to maximize the possibilities for a successful result. Good luck to you.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If you are a citizen, then you can file an immigrant visa petition, and she can file an adjustment of status application. both can be filed at the same time. Your wife will get her green card here in the United States.

Because she entered lawfully, and because you are a citizen, there is no penalty for her because she overstayed; in fact, if she leaves at this point, the case becomes more complicated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.