Sevierville, TN asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Tennessee

Q: What to do if someone is intentionally hiding their address to avoid a small claims suit?

This person is a family member and is fully aware that I am attempting to take them to small claims court, so he has quit his job and started working under the table jobs. Also move to a new apartment with his girlfriend and intentionally will not provide me with the address because they think I cannot serve them and take them to court this way. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Mr. James Charles Wright

  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Anyone over the age of 18- not a party- may serve the warrant any place you can find the relative. Or you can hire a private investigator to serve the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.