Detroit, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: Can I take legal action against my landlord for not fixing major repairs until someone gets hurt?

My daughters bedroom ceiling fell down on her after MONTHS of me telling him it was cracking. My other daughter fell off porch while holding my grandson, breaking her ankle due to him not fixing rail, after me repeatedly telling him. Now the rail going up my steps has broke, has been a month, and a friend to fall and scrap her leg. The cement on the porch, steps is crumbling. He also hasn't fixed gutters or my toilet. The sewer backed up and due to him taking his time to fix, my dryer flooded, which my renters insurance stated he should pay for. I do have pictures and evidence and currently looking for housing elsewhere due to these issues

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Contact the local building department, which might issue repair orders. Send landlord written notice of the problems, then start paying rent on time each month into escrow with the local court, which will schedule a hearing for landlord to come and explain what is being done to fix the problems. If not enough, the court can terminate your lease so you can move. Check your local court for the rent escrow process. You also could sue the landlord in small claims court for medical bills. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local attorney to assist you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.