Clemmons, NC asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Rights and Collections for North Carolina

Q: Legal recourse for full wage garnishment resulting in home loss & lack of food if federal debt was legit?

This wage garnishment occurred 10.14 - 01.15. My spouse attempted filing for a hearing, but the Dept. of the Treasury repeatedly denied receipt of the request. We had been homeless / jobless 11.12 - 12.13. We rented a house. This wage garnishment forced us to live off food stamps alone. Our landlords helped us as much as they could, allowing us to remain in home until 03.15, however, we ultimately became homeless. This occurred in Hickory, NC [Catawba County]. I'm wondering if we had any legal recourse, and if so, is the statute of limitations is up on it? My spouse is a Navy veteran, having served OEF / OIF, 2008 - 2012 if this has any bearing on our circumstances. This garnishment occurred as a result of outstanding federal debts which occurred during his time in service. These debts were old, and required immediate payment. We were unable to pay in time due to homelessness / joblessness.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: If the judgment was properly granted and the amounts garnished correct under your statute, there is likely no legal recourse against the creditors.